Thursday 4 September 2008

Day 3: Edinburgh to Dublin

Our flight to Dublin was at 3pm. I found, to my surprise, that it is fairly cheap to fly in Europe. There are plenty of discount airlines with cheap fares if you book at the right times. My ticket to Dublin was about $100, once all the extra charge were added- tax, checked bag fee, even a seat. They do charge you for everything, down to the seat. I think the flight alone was only about $30.

Since both Allie and I had an extra bag we did not want to bring along to Ireland (packing for both short vacation and school year can be difficult, fyi), we spent the morning trying to figure out where we could cheaply and securely leave our bags for the week. The University of Edinburgh could not help us. We found a hostel that stored bags for about 2 quid a day, but you had to stay there the night previous to when you wanted to store, not the night at the end of your trip. (The Edinburgh Backpacker's Hostel, if anyone is interested.) Finally, the only place that would take them was the Excess Baggage Company place at Waverly station for a ridiculous amount per bag per day. (Something like 6 quid, if I remember correctly. It's a 5 star hotel, for baggage!)

The flight from Edinburgh to Dublin was an hour long and fairly uneventful. I did get patted down going through security because I forgot to take all the change out of my pockets. That wasn't even a big deal because about every other person going through also got patted down. Once in Ireland, a somewhat thing occured. We were going through customs, and the customs guy quizzed us on our travel plans (and in my case, asked me what subjects I was studying). When Allie went through, she told him we were going to Galway (among other places) and he gave her the phone number of his son who lived in Galway. We weren't quite sure what that was all about.

Once outside the airport, complete with our backpacks, we started the search for the hostel (I brought the book HostelsIreland with me, which turned out to be a great asset). After going several blocks in the wrong direction, we finally find it. It was nice, clean, 8 bunks in a co-ed room and shared bathroom, and (best of all) free internet.

We went out to get some food and see a little of the city since we were leaving early in the morning for Dingle. Here's some pictures:

No comments: